One of the more common questions we hear from our guests is, “What is there to do around Canmore and Banff on a rainy day?” We wish we could control the weather to ensure you all have beautiful sunny weather for every day of your vacation there are some limits to our super powers. We’ve compiled a list of our favourite activities to do around Canmore and Banff on a rainy day. Make the most of your vacation!
Sightsee in Banff National Park Without Getting Wet
- Take a drive on the 1A: Visit Johnson Canyon and Temple Viewpoint
- Enjoy the Banff Lake Cruise on Lake Minnewanka (boats are covered and heated)
- Take a drive around Banff town: up to the Hoodoos Viewpoint, along Vermilion Lakes Road, or the Lake Minnewanka Loop
- Go caving with Canmore Cave Tours.
- Visit Elevation Place in Canmore – there is a fitness centre, indoor climbing wall and aquatic facility including a swimming pool, lazy river, waterslide, hot tub and steam room.
- Go bowling at High Rollers or at the Fairmont Banff Springs.
- Play pool in Canmore at the Rose and Crown, Drake or Patrinos Steak House and Pub.
- Yoga studios in Canmore: WildHeart,
Culture & Heritage in Canmore & Banff
- Visit a Banff Museum – Luxton Buffalo Nations Museum, Whyte Museum of the Canadian Rockies, Banff Park Museum and Cave and Basin Historic Site.
- Visit a Canmore Museum – Canmore Museum and Geoscience Centre and North West Mounted Police Barracks.
- Visit a Canmore Gallery – Avens Gallery, Elevation Gallery, Fallen Leaf Art Gallery, Fireweed Glass Studio, Carter-Ryan Gallery, All in the Wild, Brandon T. Brown Gallery the Ken Hoehn Gallery and the Three Sisters Gallery.
- Visit a Banff Gallery – Canada House Gallery, All in the Wild, Brandon T. Brown Gallery, Mountain Gallery at the Fairmont, Willock and Sax Gallery, The Quest Gallery and Walter Phillips Gallery at Banff Centre.
- Take in a show at Banff Centre (check the online events calendar).
- See a movie at The Lux Cinema in Banff.
- Explore the inside of the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel, aka The Castle. Built in 1888, Banff Spring offers visitors a glimpse into the past. Don’t miss the view from the top floor.
- Go for a stroll around the inside of the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise. This massive luxury hotel’s oldest wing was built in 1913.
- Enjoy the exhibits and theatre inside the Lake Louise Visitor Information Centre.
Canmore & Banff Community Experiences
- Explore Canmore’s vibrant downtown. Browse Canmore’s diverse range of fun and beautiful shops. Stop in one of the cafes or bakeries for a snack. Banff’s townsite also offers many shops and eateries to explore.
- Hop on a local Roam bus for a tour of Canmore or Banff.
- Treat yourself at one of the many spas in Canmore – Bodhi Tree Spa, Verde Day Spa Inc., One Wellness and Rapunzel’s Salon and Spa.
- Take a brewery or distillery tour: Canmore Brewing Company, Grizzly Paw Pub & Brewing Company, RAW Distillery and Wild Life Distillery.
- Tap into your creative side with a pottery painting experience at Crock A Doodle. A favourite with locals of all ages!
- Take a cooking class at The PaintBox Lodge in Canmore.
- Play Hide & Seek
- Bust out a Board Game … time to name the Family Trivial Pursuit Champion!
If You Don’t Mind Getting Wet…
- Soak in the Banff Upper Hot Springs (you get wet anyway!)
- Go fishing (the fish can’t hide in the rain!)
- Go rafting (you get wet anyway!)
- Visit Bow Falls (they won’t be hidden in fog)
- Visit Lower Bankhead. There are still remains of the old town. (Minnewanka Loop)
- If you’re not afraid of getting a little wet and muddy, don your wet weather gear and go for a hike. There are endless trails to choose from, a few of our favourites include:
- The iconic Tunnel Mountain (locally referred to by its First Nations name, Sleeping Buffalo Mountain) in Banff.
- Grassi Lakes by the Canmore Nordic Centre.
- Heart Creek trail just east of Canmore by Dead Man’s Flats.
Please note, all information is subject to change. Restriction and closures may be in effect due to COVID. If you’re going for a drive we suggest you check for road closures. Please call ahead or check online to confirm details about your destination before heading out.